World of Flavors: Our Health eKitchen Collection
In honor of National Nutrition Month, we thought it would be fun to search our own recipe collection for flavors we know you will love! We found our top 10. We promise these won't disappoint in the flavor category.
1. Shakshuka - Doesn't the name just make you want to do something? Dance? Shimmy? Shake? This dish will make your mouth water - the eggs, the cheese, the pepper and tomatoes. Can we have two dance parties for the taste buds in 10 recipes?! The answer is YES! Keep reading!
2. Ratatouille - This recipe is a winner when the summer vegetable garden starts to unload its bounty on your kitchen counter! Tuck this one away for a warm sunny day when you want something on the lighter side. Don't worry - it's heavy in flavor.
3. Instant Pot® Chicken Shawarma - If you are an Instant Pot fan, this one just might be for you! Onion, garlic, lemon, cumin, nutmeg, paprika, cinnamon, and turmeric - can you smell how good that will taste? Borrow some nutmeg from a neighbor if you need to! You can even stay for a chat - this is Instant Pot style, remember? That means it will allow you time to do everything else while dinner cooks itself!
4. Haitian Style Chicken and Rice - All the tangy citrus in this recipe will make you think you are on vacation. Isn't that enough said? Make this recipe and take the vacation! I am getting ingredients right now. I need the vacation!
5. Moroccan Carrot Salad - Curry is the star in this dish! You can make this as a colorful side dish or use it to top a sandwich. It will add a little sweetness and crunch. I love when a recipe can function in multiple ways!
6. Tabbouleh - Hands down - one of the BEST parts about the recipe is that it improves its flavor as it sits in the refrigerator over night. That means all the hard work is done while you sleep! I don't know about you, but that sounds like a recipe I need in my life. Make this today and enjoy it tomorrow - well rested.
7. Sheet Pan Tofu and Veggie Teriyaki - What I love about this recipe is that you can totally substitute the vegetables with whatever you might have in your house. It's also a great choice for a meatless meal - and an opportunity to try tofu if you haven't. I recommend pressing your tofu to get out the extra water before cooking. Just place it between layers of a towel and stick something heavy on top for about a half hour.
8. Chinese Cabbage Salad - So fresh! This recipe is THE one for a day when you want to sit outside on your front porch for lunch. Bonus: it's dairy-free and vegan. The secret is: you can add a meat protein easily - grilled chicken would be delicious. Yum! Bring on the breezy afternoon - your lunch is decided.
9. Brown Rice Jambalaya - An American Creole and Cajun recipe that takes influence from the French, African, and Spanish - it provides lots of great textures and a little spice (that you can control!). We describe it as a Cajun dance party for your taste buds. Who can resist that? Two step your way to the kitchen and get cookin'!
10. Ants on a Log - If you can't entice your kids with the name of this recipe - well, my kids must just like gross sounding things more than yours! Raisins substituted for ants on a celery log smeared with ooey gooey satisfying peanut butter? Plus - I don't know about you, but I always have extra celery leftover from a recipe. This is a great way to use it up, provide some protein, and maybe even ask your kids to help make them!
And so? Did you find anything you might want to try? I challenge you to pick one recipe from above for next week. I know you won't be sorry you did - and what better way to celebrate a world of flavors than to try something new? It's a big world out there - go taste all it has to offer!
If you are looking for other great recipe ideas, please check out our Health eKitchen at www.wichealth.org. We have over 275 recipes for you. One of the best parts? They all use WIC-approved food ingredients! We hope to see you there.
About the contributor...
My name is Terisa, and I'm a wichealth team member. I am a vegetarian and mother of 3 kids. I love to try new recipes, and our collection doesn't disappoint. Check out more recipes in our Health eKitchen (wichealth's recipe database) for quick and tasty meals your whole family will love!