Fall Recipe Spotlight: Root Vegetable Soup
Last week, Guadalupe shared her ideas for serving her daughter more vegetables in the fall. One of her ideas was soups! We love this Health eKitchen soup recipe because it features seasonal root vegetables like carrot, sweet potato, rutabaga, and parsnip. Plus, because it is so creamy and colorful, children can't resist trying it!
Number of Servings - 4
Prep Time - 30 minutes
Cook Time - 1 hour 5 minutes
1 sweet potato
1 quart chicken broth
1 drizzle oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash prep area, your hands, and all vegetables.
2. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Peel carrots, parsnip, sweet potato, rutabaga, and onion.
4. Cut carrots, parsnip, sweet potato, rutabaga, and onion into 1-inch chunks.
5. Place all vegetables on baking sheet.
6. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat evenly.
8. Bake vegetables at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
9. Once cooked, place vegetables in large pot and add 1 quart low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock. 10. Simmer for 20 minutes. 11. Let the soup cool slightly. Then, blend it in portions to a smooth consistency, leaving some pieces of potato. Serve hot.
Find this recipe and more in the Health eKitchen section of WicHealth.org!