Cheesy Southwestern Lentils (Using an Instant Pot)
If you are looking for a fast and kid friendly meal - I have you covered! This Instant Pot recipe is a winner for easy clean up too! Check out other Instant Pot recipes in our
Health eKitchen collection.
Number of Servings - 4
Prep Time - 10 minutes
Cook Time - 15 minutes
1/2 red onion
1/2 red bell pepper
4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup shredded cheese
3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
3/4 cup lentils
2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 can (15-ounces) diced tomatoes
1 can (4-ounces) diced green chiles
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Wash prep surfaces and your hands.
2. Peel or core, then finely chop onion, bell pepper, and garlic cloves. Chop cilantro. Shred cheese.
3. Add all ingredients, except cheese and cilantro, to your pot.
4. Cover and lock the lid. Make sure the valve points to Sealed. Set to manual and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
5. Once cook time is complete, allow pressure to naturally release for 15 minutes. Then do a quick release, by changing the position of the valve to Vent.
6. Remove cover and stir in half of the cheese.
7. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and replace the cover. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
8. Add cilantro as a garnish before serving. Yum!
About the contributor...
My name is Terisa, and I'm a wichealth team member. I am a vegetarian and mother of 3 kids. I need fast, nutritious, and satisfying meals. This one hits the spot! Check out more recipes in our Health eKitchen (wichealth's recipe database) for quick and tasty meals your whole family will love!